Thursday, March 7, 2013

30 days of FOP, Week 2

I will be the first of the four researchers to work through the full experiment that is being conducted and recorded here. Each person in our group is ushered into a step after the person before them finishes it. So once my week two is finished, the next researcher will be beginning week two. Our experiment includes four weeks of varying degrees of restricted movement in order for us to fully understand what it's like to live with FOP. Our week 1 was used for controls to see how different it is completely simple tasks with and without FOP. Week 2 introduces two wrist braces, one on each arm, to restrict the basic movements of our hands that we take for granted.

I am currently wearing the braces and will be continuously wearing them until Wednesday of next week in order to maintain the illusion of having lost the use of my wrist. It's taking a lot of effort to just type on my keyboard to write this blog entry this morning. I guess I never really realized how much our wrists move while typing, so having that taken away is a whole new mess for me. I have to keep my hand elevated above the keyboard rather than wresting my wrists on it like I normally do. If I rest my wrists I can't bend them enough to reach all of the keys I need.


 I have a couple of pills that I take daily and with the braces it took me almost 5 minutes to find a way to open the bottle that I can normally open in less than 30 seconds. By the time I got it open I was extremely frustrated and didn't even bother to close it up again. Without my wrists I had to roughly jab the top against my palm, but couldn't really twist it right so it was a struggle. My frustrations only got worse when I attempted to go through and fold all of my clean laundry. It wasn't too hard but still took longer than normal to finish.

At the end of the day I just feel frustrated and tired of dealing with the braces already.

~Krisen


No comments:

Post a Comment